Code Of Conduct
The Code of Conduct Project
The project of the Code of Conduct is an initiative of the World Tourism Organization (WTO), ECPAT International and UNICEF developed by the countries of origin as well as the tourist destinations. It seeks the participation and commitment promise of the tourism industry to disesteem and sanction the commercial sexual exploitation of children and adolescents associated with travel and tourism.
The Code of Conduct in Costa Rica
As part of the commitment of the tourist sector to contribute to the betterment of the quality of life in the population in general and the protection of the fundamental rights of childhood and adolescence in particular, in August 2003 the project of the Code of Conduct for the Protection of Children and Adolescents from Commercial Sexual Exploitation in Travel and Tourism in Costa Rica was started.
The code of conduct is a project of the tourist industry that is implemented by the Paniamor Foundation in conjunction with the Costa Rican Association of Operators of Tourism (ACOT), the Costa Rican Association of Professionals in Tourism (ACOPROT). It is sponsored by Fundecooperación and Save the Children Sweden until 2008.
The action as a member of the Code of Conduct
In order to participate in the project, businesses should take the following actions:
- Sign the Code of Conduct for the Protection of Children and Adolescents from Commercial Sexual Exploitation in Tourism
- Capacitate the personnel: the personnel should be clear about the directions and policies of the company or business concerning the protection of minors from commercial sexual exploitation and act as preventive agents in this problematic area.
- Utilize visible symbols that will alert clients and suppliers about their position against the commercial sexual exploitation of children and adolescents: posters, announcements, brochures, flyers, stickers, warnings for websites, letterheads, etc.
- Introduce a clause in contracts with providers of tourist services that declares the common repudiation of commercial sexual exploitation of children and adolescents.
- Present an annual informative report about the actions the company has realized for the protection of children and adolescents from commercial sexual exploitation
Currently the Code of Conduct is in the process of institutionalization, through which is assumed by the Instituto Costarricense de Turismo (ICT), with the collaboration of the National Chamber of Tourism (CANATUR) and the technical support of Paniamor Foundation.
For additional information, please contact:
info @ protegiendoles.org
Phone: (+506) 234-2993
Fax: (+506) 234-2956
Esta página se encuentra también en: